doughnut or donut (the latter spelling often seen in American English) is a type of fried dough confection or dessert food. The doughnut is popular in many countries and is prepared in various forms as a sweet snack that can be homemade or purchased in bakeries, supermarkets, food stalls, and franchised specialty vendors. Doughnuts are usually deep fried from a flour dough, and typically either ring-shaped or a number of shapes without a hole, and often filled, but can also be ball-shaped (“doughnut holes”). Other types of batters can also be used, and various toppings and flavorings are used for different types, such as sugar, chocolate, or maple glazing. Doughnuts may also include water, leavening, eggs, milk, sugar, oil, shortening, and natural or artificial flavors
- 2 tbsp dry yeast
- 2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening room temp
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 6 1/2 – cups flour
- Dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup luke-warm water.set aside.
- heat 2cups milk in microwave for 3 min.
- while the milk is heating add shortening to a large bowl.Pour hot milk over it and whisk until mixed.add salt,sugar,nutmeg and cinnamon. mix well with a wooden spoon.Add 4 eggs and mix well.
- Add yeast mixture to batter and mix.Add 2 cups of flour and mix with a wooden spoon mix well.Add 2 more cups and mix . At this point batter should not be runny.Add 1 more cup of flour , give or take 1/2 cup NOTE:the dough should be smooth
- Sprinkle flour onto a clean surface and pour the batter onto it. Gently knead the dough batter until surface is smooth
- Place the dough on a lighty floured surface and roll out about 1 inch thickness. cut the doughnuts as closely as possible. you can save middles for doughnut holes. move the doughnuts and hole to a clean surface.cover and let rise for an 1hr
- once the doughnuts and holes are done rising , fry them in a large frying pan with vegitable oil unitl golden brown.
- to make the glaze mix 7 cups powdered sugarwith 2/3 cup water and 2 tsp vanilla. Add doughnuts to glaze as soon as they are done frying and make sure both sides are covered .